pwd

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Manila - Day 1 - I'm here

Wow. Asia. The Philippines. I'm here.

First thing I noticed when I got off the plane was that the airport gate seats looked really uncomfortable. Lame or observant? Surprisingly, things weren't ridiculously Asian as many people (including my brain) said it would be. I mean, my layover in Nagoya, Japan, seemed a bit more foreign. I guess I just really wanted culture-shock right off-the-bat. Well, I guess I wasn't too dissapointed...

Ah, immigration. Here's what I'm talking about. Wait behind the yellow line (a suggestion), hand over documents, say absolutely nothing, you're in. Okay, I did say "February 27th" and the guy said "I can only give you 21 days." Done, I'll take it.

Prior to this moment, I truly disliked baggage claims in America. I mean, technically, they work. But trusting human beings to not be dickheads? Not so much. Why do you have to stand at the lip of baggage belt blocking everyone? Can't you just hang back make a little "active pick-up zone"? Grrrr...I get riled up in Minneapolis every time. Well, I think this is the end my anger in American baggage claims because it just doesn't compare the one in Manila. Holy crap. Jungle Gym. Bags everywhere. People everywhere. Chairs everywhere. Seriously, effing chairs to sit in while you block the people who can actually see their bags. Ridiculous.

I got my bag but needless to say, it was annoying.

Customs was a joke...except it wasn't funny. Hand lady card, walk on by. No questions. Made me feel extremely secure. I'm actually looking forward to standing in some long lines back at ATL before they let me in the country. All I'm asking for is a little "you smuggling in bananas?" or even "did you fill this card out properly?" Nope, just keep on walking.

Oh yeah, just realized, I have yet to actually walk through a door.

So I bee-line it to the hotel shuttle area and boom, (yes, the first door) and "Mr. Thigpen?" I had't said a word. I guess being the only white dude with a beard in this country makes me stand out just a tad. I hop in my pre-arranged Hertz taxi and off we go. I'm pretty excited because I've heard and read so much about the crazy driving in Manila. Hands in the air, I'm ready for the rollercoaster.

To let you in on the whole "crazy driving in Manila" thing, I'll break it down a bit based purely on the observations of this first drive. (Don't worry, the best is yet to come as I'm writing this days after this experience...true Manila traffic is insane)
1) Lines are more of a suggestion. Well, that's not quite true...they're more like another form of dirt on the road. Step 1 is to ignore them and trust that everyone else is doing the same.
2) Off-roading is totally legit. Especially in order to get on a highway - I'm serious.
3) Stop lights exist, but they are basically there for illumination. Do not trust a green, do not trust a red. Just keep driving.
4) Cars have the right-of-way, or more specifically buses cause they can crush - pedestrians beware.

The only low-point of my first hour in the Philippines was seeing my first "street-urchins". They were on the off-ramp to Ayala (the exit and area where my hotel is). There were all these children sitting in this elevated median in the middle of a big highway off-ramp with cars everywhere. I mean, these kids were anywhere from 5 to 15. Note that it is midnight and they are out-and-about. Twas sad.

Anywho, I was only able to notice the children because we this was the first stop light the driver stopped at. Well, considering it is now technically "day 2" of my trip, I will leave you with this parting word: smog.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work buddy... I'm following your every movement. Watch out for the little urchins; they bite.

    ReplyDelete